Monday, November 15, 2010

The Importance of Design at a Young Age

Image from: http://smythek6-trusd-ca.schoolloop.com/cms/page_view?d=x&piid=&vpid=1235051466140
           
           As I was working on my homework my 10 and 11 year old cousins were discussing what electives classes they were going to pick. This surprised me because when I was in elementary school I never had a chance to take electives in elementary school. At Smythe Academy, a public elementary school in Sacramento, students as young as the first grade are able to sign up for elective classes that range from the arts to cooking. I feel that some of the art programs that Smythe offers really do get kids interested in the arts. Some of the classes that Smythe offers are Recycled Art, Pointillism, Art in the Fall, and Drawing. I feel that every kid should get the opportunity to take art classes just like the kids at Smythe. Whether kids choose to pursue a career in art or design, or they are just looking for a hobby, art and design classes are essential to every kids learning. Even though I didn’t have elective classes in elementary school, I was lucky enough to have a graphic design class in high school. This class inspired  me to pursue  a career in design  and  I fell that if I wouldn’t have had this class I wouldn’t decided to major in design . This is why I fell that it is important to make art and design classes available to kids at a young age so that they can decide if design is a career they want to pursue.  

No comments:

Post a Comment